When it comes to getting to know someone, there’s no better pastime than mini-golf.
So yes, mini-golf is in fact one of the best options when it comes to a first date. Even better, mini-golf eliminates a lot of the awkward silences that can come with many first dates.
This is because you also have to focus on your putting, and it allows you to have a much more stress-free and pressure-free environment. It even gets a whole lot better too.
Let’s talk about how you can have one of the best first date, mini-golfing experiences.
How Do You Make A Mini Golf Date Fun And Romantic?
Mini golf dates are an absolute blast, and I say this from personal experience. In fact, my girl and I still go on many mini-golf dates as it provides:
- A great experience.
- Many fond memories.
- And even some friendly competition.
I’ll never forget the first time that we ever played mini-golf together. She kicked my butt, and I’ll never hear the end of it (she still has the scorecard too) 😛
Given the popularity mini-golf has gained (along with the excitement that comes with it), I think that the question should be: how can you make a mini-golf date even more fun?
Here are a few tips that will help you make that mini-golf first date one that you’ll never forget.
1) Break The Mini-Golf Rules (Only Slightly)
Mini-golf always comes with rules, but who says that you have to follow them perfectly? From my experience, the more that you can twist the rules of mini-golf, the more fun you’ll have.
Here are a few examples of how you can break the rules and ramp up the excitement:
- Use the foot-wedge (putt only using your foot).
- Putt with the butt-end of your putter (like a pool cue).
- Make your putt together (think of the scene from Karate Kid).
- Putt with your eyes closed (have your date put their hands over your eyes).
- Add a little mustard to your putts to see where the ball goes (no full swings though).
And my favorite is being able to putt from out of bounds. Sometimes in mini-golf, you’re going to hit your ball in a spot that it most likely shouldn’t have gone:
- It might be outside grass.
- It could be a small amount of water.
- Or maybe you hit your ball onto a completely different hole.
Usually, you have to drop the ball from where you originally made your put, and go again. Rather instead, take your shot from where your ball landed (if you’re capable of doing so).
I’ve personally noticed that the sillier you get and the sillier the putts that you have to make, the more enjoyable and fun mini-golf will be. Isn’t that exactly what you want from a first date?
2) Add Some Friendly Competition
Keep in mind that the key word here is friendly. Everything should be done in a friendly manner, as it adds to the overall fun, excitement, and even mystery of your first mini-golf date.
Just because mini-golf is considered a sport, doesn’t mean that you need to turn into a professional golfer on your first date. Here are a few examples for adding some friendly competition to your mini-golf date experience:
- See who can get the most hole-in-ones.
- See who can just overall win (tips for that here).
- See who can get closest to the hole without getting it in (with only 2 putts).
And there are plenty more that I’m sure you can come up with on the top of your head. Aside from seeing who can outperform who with various challenges, be sure to also add in some type of reward for each. A few examples include:
- Whoever wins gets to choose the next date.
- Whoever wins gets to choose where we eat for dinner.
- Whoever wins this hole gets to pick the movie that we watch.
Once again, these are fairly simple and straightforward things that you can add to make your first-date mini-golf experience even more fun.
3) Get Fancy With Your Mini-Golf Putter
If you’d like to instantly add more fun to your first mini-golf date, then look no further than your putter. If you were looking to improve your mini-golf skills, then you’d want to make sure that you choose the proper putter.
- The shorter you are, the short you’re going to want your putter to be.
- The taller you are, the longer you’re going to want your putter to be.
So why not flip-flop things around? If you’re taller, go with the smallest putter possible. If you’re shorter, go with the longest putter possible.
Given the fact that choosing your putter is the first activity after paying, it’s a great way to start off your first date with a laugh. Feel free to add some commentary to it as well:
- “Oh, I thought I chose the perfect putter!”
- “Is it just me or is the putter just a tad bit too short for me?”
The fun certainly doesn’t end there when it comes to putting and mini-golf. Here are a few other recommendations when it comes to putting:
- Keep your back to the hole and then try putting.
- Try putting one-handed (with your non-dominant hand, too).
- As I mentioned previously, you can use your putter as if it’s a pool cue.
- Or take the putter out for a hole and simply use your hand as your putter.
I understand that all of these recommendations sound pretty silly, but that’s the idea. Unless your aim is to play prof mini-golf, try to have as much as you can (especially on a first date).
What Do You Wear On A Mini Golf First Date?
This is also a common question when it comes to getting ready for your first date. You want to wear something that is both very comfortable and allows you to move around and pick up your golf ball.
For example, a t-shirt and shorts are going to be ideal for either a guy or a girl. You don’t need to dress up like a pro golfer. Remember, your mini golf date is all about having fun.
Keep in mind, there are going to be some huge differences when you compare the dress code of normal golf vs mini-golf. You’ll only have to worry about that if you plan on playing regular golf.
While it might be tempting to want to dress to impress, there are going to be other occasions when you can do so. For example, going to see a movie or having a romantic dinner together.
Is Mini Golf A Good Second Date Or Lame? Closing Words
I speak from experience when I say that both mini-golfing and putt-putt are great ideas for any date. First, second, third, or even tenth date. As long as you keep things light-hearted and fun, it’s one of the best ways to enjoy some time with that special person.
Another benefit to note is that mini-golf is not expensive. Just make sure that you keep in mind the tips that were mentioned previously in this article:
- Slightly break the rules.
- Add some friendly competition.
- And don’t forget about getting fancy with your putter.
Lastly, be sure to dress casually and comfortably when it comes to clothing. That will allow you to save the fancy outfit for the more romantic dinner and a movie night.
Continue Reading: Is Laser Tag a Good First Date?